Saturday 23 June 2012

Singapore Nationals: Top 16 report

Singapore Nationals Top16 @ funan It mall
After many play-testing,  a lot of online read up such as sixprizes.com, thedeckout.com. I managed to edit the deck suits to local play style.
While reading thedeckout, I was horrified about the sableeye hammer deck- finland nationals champion. *6 times to be precise*.  Because he kinda of leak out “secrets” of my deck. However our deck list is still a world apart different.  If u read his blog, he got 2 byes’ , mirror, followed by 6 corners.  More information (http://www.thedeckout.com/2012/05/6-time-national-champions-report.html)
Awesome deck list but… his opponents not much zekeels(I personally feel that is top tier #1 deck for eels consistency) other than the 1st turn being donk-part, there is nothing else you can complaint about this masterpiece.
Reached funan at 10.45am, registered and started playing 12.45pm~1pm. 7 swiss in total( my first endurance- comparable with my 42km marathon) .
My THOR deck because I look like thor?


1st Game ( Larvin – Quad Entei ex)
He got flying start. Dual ball another 2 entei ex and attached eviolites to each of his entei* after smeargle* My thor’s hammer was trapped inside the ground and refused to fly up to my hand after 6 hammers tails flip. He managed to kill off my sableye and smeargle. I refused to give in. after counting his energy and the number of cards in his hand. It is time for some control. I benched one sabeleye, re-treated my darkrai. And catcher is energy-less entei. And hunt for 2 hammer. The following turn I manage 2 heads and things changed. I kept on junk hunt (sabeleye) until he is wiped. This is the time my darkrai ex out. But the annoying part is his eviolite. Amazingly I got mewtwo and shaymin. I benched mewtwo and moved it active. Shaymin and moved all 10 energy to mewtwo.  Knocked his 1st entei out! Yea two prize( one of them is energy) he can’t do anything cause his energy flow Is max-ed out. No more energy in his deck. I knocked out  his other 2 entei.
1-0 (endurance game 1)
Entei-EX from Dark Explorers (#103)
2nd game ( xiong jie – Zeekeel)
A mis-played game.  Was too eagar to killed off his tynamo for t1 prize.  And I ultra ball instead of junk arm for random receiver. So smeargle portrait his supportor-less hand 2 times in a row. And I knew I gonna lose. I tried to charge up my m2. And he have m2 with DCE in his hand. And he knocked out my m2.
1-1
3rd game ( Ronnie – zeekeel)
Ronnie is my friend! Love dealing cards with him. Sell at a reasonable price. Bargain can’t be associated with Ronnie! He started off with terrakion, he manage to set up eels. But the following turn I charged up darkrai instead of hammering (learnt from previous swiss’s mistake). And I took down his eels.  Controlled his fighting energy well.  Normally, zekeel tech terrakion with 3-4 fighting. I took down 2 fighting. Followed by quick takedown of terrakion.
2-1
4th game (irfan’s brother,accelgor + trainer lock)
Another friend game.  Both of us know each other deck . He got a poor hand . And I once again, left my hammer on the floor and charged up my darkrai ex. Turn 2 I manage to kill his oddish. So he unable to set up viplume.
3-1
Vileplume  from HS - Undaunted (#24)
5th game ( jen, quad terrakion + 3 mewtwo + exp share + tornadus. )
She is the nicest player so far. Most people called her Jen sister instead of auntie.  She got her terrakion out, with exp share. And tornadus out also. I manage to hammer off her energy and moved my energy to attack her tornadus. The following turn she benched he mewtwo. Cant recall what happened in the middle.OH she retaliate+ 1 pluspower and knocked off my darkrai* But she got 1-2 prize during time out. At the moment her set up was 30 damage on tornadus, terrakion and mewtwo. I am able to knock1 of her any pokemon to make the game tied 1-1 and finish off. However, she drew a catcher and caught my “innoncent” shaymin UL and land-crush for the win
3-2 (omygad must win last 2)
Terrakion from Noble Victories (#99)
6th game( - quad entei)
He set up his entei real quick and evolites, 3 entei, 3 evoilite, and I knew gonna be hard for me. He took 1 of my ex-es and 1 sableye. And I took down 1 of his entei. So it was a 4-3 for me.  Hammer starts works like I am the real thor. He used up his 2 energy retrieval. But he got wiped again. At this moment he has no junk, no energy retrieval. time out turn 1 with the fire his entei burned on me, I catcher-ed his smeargle and knocked it out to tie 3-3. I knocked out his entei for 2 prize. I won. Yay.
4-2
7th game (Zekeels)
The 7th game is the 4-2 do or die match, either 5-2 or 4-3, it goes both ways.  A very good player. His eels play potion and Max potion which is 2 surprise card for a zeekeels.  Within turn two, he set up his 2 eels and 1 zekrom and tornadus ex. As for playing eels - thor has to dive into the sea with his darkrai ex , while leaving his hammer on earth. Meaning, I have to catcher his eels, night spear, then do 30 to his tynamo. As I said, he is really good, he max-potion the tynamo and build up tornadus ex. But the next turn I junk arm catcher and knocked out his 2nd eels. So I slowly knocked out his zekrom. But his fully charged tornadus did an even damage to eviolite darkrai and to dark claw darkrai. Then time-out turn 1, I was leading 5-2. And he is staging a comeback which took him quite a while? Like near 5minutes.  Told him to scope because I need go to the toilet because not much chance to catch up 3 prize to make it 2-2 . So he conceded gracefully. Nice and Good dude.
5-2
Made it top cut. Positioned 15 out of 16. And have to play Entei ex of my 6th swiss deck. Looking forward to it!
Top 16 (another quad entei – exactly the same deck list from 6th game)
Entei-EX from Dark Explorers (#103)
Game 1
Both side started poorly because a lot of slice shuffling that messed up a lot of supporters stuck together. For my side my hammer stucked together.  He manage 2 entei and 2 mewtwo set up. A very tech-y quad entei. He knocked off my sabeleye for a prize. After much struggling, I assumed he ran out of DCE for m2 war. So I once again, m2, shaymin 6 energy to knock off his entei to close up the lead.  I got deck-ed me out.  A misplay-ed game.
0-1
 Mewtwo-EX from Next Destinies (#98)
Game 2
Maybe because I changed my sleeves to a white one, hammers didn’t response at all. Just like how thor got stripped off the god’ power. He managed charged up his entei. At this turn I am holding 3 crushing hammer, followed by 3 tails row. I did night spear on his entei which he took 70 because eviolite. But he managed up his bench entei. He was leading at prize. Hammer started to work for a while but his 3 energy retriever changed the game. Time out with + 3 turns but the prize count was too superior for me to catch up.
0-2
My Nationals journey ended at top 16. I would say it is a nice experience.  As for a new player like(1 month old), I think I have over-achieved for nationals. I hope my story will serve as a motivation and able to attract more new players to join in pokemon. I will continue train harder to further improve my skills. Hope to see you guys soon.
Vincent the thor.

No comments: